Monday, October 29, 2012

A Message of Love on a 90th Birthday


Dear Opa,

Happy Birthday!!! This message is a long time in coming, variations of which have been written and discarded many times over many years, but now as then proves necessary in order to communicate a message of heart felt love and appreciation.  I suppose until recently I always thought them a bit presumptive, better saved for another day or moment but with my inability to be near to say them to both you and Oma personally the time for words yet unspoken has arrived.

As I write this I can't help but list the names too numerous to put down here of others who might also have purpose to write this message and do so for them as well.  For your brother John, taking his son as your own and providing an opportunity to move to America for a life filled with more opportunities for his family than he could have ever grown up believing.  For my mom and dad, Jackie, myself and even Eric, though in typical, stubborn Van Namen fashion he's not likely to admit.  The advantages, experiences and memories are too numerous to list here but I cherish them all and can only hope my son will be fortunate to experience half the wonderful things I've done in my life as a result of the foundation you and Oma provided for me and the rest of the family.

As I grow older the events and people who impacted me and my development over the years- my experiences, personality and sensibility have become clearer.  Obviously, family and close friends play an important role generally but then there are those people that have an over-sized role, who have really impacted my life in a profound way.  You and oma have provided a solid foundation of love and support, joy and opportunity for me that I feel overwhelmingly fortunate and blessed to have been a part and will continue to cherish and share them for generations to come.  

Every once in a while there are people who have such great impact that they propel generations that follow on a new trajectory of continued excellence and service.  That is what you've done and I've tried and will continue to work in my own way to provide for the same kind, positive impact on everyone I encounter and especially our young son to continue to live up to the promises and opportunities I know you worked so hard to provide for us.  
I've always tried to and will continue to conduct myself in a manner that honors and respects the example you've provided and that you expected from us. Similarly, when allowed the opportunity I've attempted to service the debt that I feel I owed as a result and hope that can be viewed in all my actions.  My only regret is that my dad wasn’t around to continue to provide the leadership that is lacking among the next generation to keep the family and the business together in the same way that you and Oma have done.  Perhaps that is another testimony to your achievements that is it not easily emulated or continued.   

We pray daily now for your continued comfort and loving support and do so safe in the knowledge that your example of living life not for yourselves but for the love and service to others will continue on.  We are all blessed and I am grateful, praise be to God.

Love,

No comments: